ASEAN: Vietnam and Thailand projected to emerge as major scrap paper importers; China focuses on increasing scrap paper recovery
(December 20, 2016) Vietnam and Thailand are set to emerge as leading markets for scrap paper imports, presenters at the RISI Fifth Annual China International Recycled Fiber Conference, held in Zhuhai, China, in early December, said.
Vietnam’s paper and board industry is forecast to see a 34% rise in production between 2015 and 2018, on account of new capacity going online. Additionally, as per the Vietnam Pulp and Paper Association (VPPA), Vietnamese mills are projected to import more than 1.9 million tonnes of recovered fibre by 2018. With only 48% of that recovered paper expected to be supplied by domestic firms, the remaining 52% will need to be imported.
In Thailand, as per figures released by the Thai Pulp and Paper Industries Association (TPPIA), while enough fibre is collected to supply about 70% of the country’s domestic recovered paper needs, the other 30% is imported — about 1.1 million tonnes in 2016 with the bulk of it being OCC (old corrugated containers).
To read complete report Go To: Recycling Today
In China, as per RISI analyst Kevin Jiang, while scrap paper collection volumes have risen in China, reaching as high as 47 million tonnes in 2015, the country is “still far from self-sufficient in recovered paper” and the tight market may have been a factor in soaring old corrugated container (OCC) prices in China in the fourth quarter of 2016. Between September and late November 2016, OCC prices in China spiked from RMB 1,300 ($188) to RMB 1,600 ($232) per ton. …
Several presenters at the conference referred to efforts from government agencies and the private sector in China to increase the amount of scrap paper harvested in the nation.
To read complete report Go To: Recycling Today (Source: Recycling Today)